Sleep is much in the news at the moment following some recent research into our changing life styles and how they impact on our life. According to some health experts a constant barrage of information, an increasing workload and our addiction to modern technology could be contributing to many of us not having enough sleep. Here are some top tips for making sure that you get a good night’s sleep:
1. Set a regular bedtime.
2. Avoid exposure to light especially blue light just before bedtime as this reduces the sleep inducing hormone melatonin -so try to avoid surfing the net or watching television just prior to bedtime create a relaxing bedtime routine.
3. Avoid alcohol before bed. Many people think that a nightcap before bed will help them sleep, but it’s counter-intuitive. While it may make you fall asleep faster, alcohol reduces your sleep quality, waking you up later in the night. To avoid this effect, stay away from alcohol in the hours before bed.
4. Stay away from big meals at night. Try to make dinnertime earlier in the evening, and avoid heavy, rich foods within two hours of bed.
5. Make sure your bedroom temperature is neither too hot nor too cold – if you have cold feet invest in a hot water bottle!
6. If you are a worrier make a to do list for the next day before you go to bed.
7. make sure your bedroom is quiet and dark.
8. try acupuncture – it helps to balance the body so it can be helpful in reprogramming the body to sleep for longer period of time.
If you would like more information on how acupuncture can help you please phone Angela on 07919930188